Saturday, July 4, 2009

After Surgery

Carter's surgery went well.  His surgeon was able to make the repair he required.  The 24 hours following surgery he was draining quite of bit of blood so he required more blood transfusions but they were able to get that under control.  He currently has buildup in his lungs and fluid around his lungs.  They are working to take care of both of these problems.  It looks like he will still require oxygen for a while at home until his lungs get strong enough without, but the goal is to ween him eventually. He is doing very well today.  He was "talking" to me a lot and to the nurses.  They all think he is so cute and come visit him often.  He has been such a trooper through this whole thing.  The Unit can't believe how calm and sweet he is.  After surgery I guess he was going a little wild but we found out today that sometimes Morphine and Down's Syndrome don't mix.  This picture was taken a few days after surgery.  I decided I wouldn't scare anyone with a picture of ventilators, catheters, and other IV lines,  so this is a toned down version of what he looked like after surgery. Thank you all for your prayers and love.  We hope to bring Carter home very soon!

9 comments:

Phipps Family said...

I can't wait to finally meet him.

Blecca and R Home said...

he is so sweet and so strong! we love you guys!

Torie Marshall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Five T's said...

What a sweet little trooper. Our prayers are with you.

Heather said...

im so glad he did well you really do have the cutest baby! we love you guys!

Dana said...

He is seriously so darn cute!!!

Olson Family said...

WOW...he looks like brian in this picture! his face and hair! You guys he is SUPER cute and I'm so glad he is home now and doing better! All our love~Olsons

April Garvin said...

I am so glad things went well!!!!

The Caple Crew said...

My mom was telling me to come check out your guys' blog, and I'm so glad she did cuz you guys have such a cute family! I think Avery looks JUST LIKE Jolene!(Jolene was always my favorite of my mom's friends!) And Carter is a TOTAL STUD! Glad to hear the surgery went well! What a strong little guy you guys got there!